September 26: The decision to form the club stemmed from a resolution at a public meeting called by the then Mayor of Manly, Jim Anderson, and held at the Balgowlah Golf Clubhouse on 26 September 1951. Alderman Les Ellison however, was the true instigator of the meeting. There were 188 people at the public meeting, and speakers included Les Graham, Council’s Planning Officer; and Ted Gunther, who spoke in his capacity as a Warringah bowler. Groups in attendance included the Seaforth Progress Association and the Castle Rock Protective and Progress Association. A number of members of the Seaforth Association, including their President Dick Wills and George Roberts had previously got to the stage of obtaining options on land at Seaforth, and having it approved by a representative of the Bowling Association, only to see their efforts fail because they could not tie up all the land needed. The Castle Rock Progress Association were particularly interested since they had made representations to the Council and the Lands Department to have the present site proclaimed as a public park suitable for a bowling club. Alan Harper, Frank Kraegen and others were concerned with this proposal, but success in finally achieving their objective goes largely to Eric Sheldon and Arthur Watts, who were senior officials in the Lands Department at the time. The September 1951 meeting appointed two provisional committees (Sites and Finance) to report to the next meeting. The appointees included Ted Gunther, Eric Sheldon, Jules Beaver, Dick Wills, George Roberts, Ed Mackie and Maurice Cutting.